Welcome to our Beta Lab page.

No Current Recruitment Projects

Interested in Beta Testing... Do This First!

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Best screen size for front facing speakers?

mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEOUnited StatesPosts: 465 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned phones with 6 inch screens, and they have front facing speakers.  But I think that might be a little much for the average consumer these days, but some DO like them.  What do you think is the best screen size for a phone, that has front facing speakers. I say 5 to 5.7 could work great, depending on the way the phone is built.  Sony makes big phones with front facing speakers, along with many others.  The Axon 7 is just about perfect to me because it does not have BIG top and bottom bezels. 

Your thoughts?

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would want a phone with front facing speaker... if the screen size is anywhere from 6.2" to 6.84" screen Great multimedia phone/device as a secondary phone to carry around.

I'll be honest, I rarely use the phone's speaker to play videos or music, as if I was to do so, I would most likely have my earphones/headphones with me, since if I am watching videos or listening to music, I'm on the go somewhere and if it was at home, I would most likely be watching it on my computer, tablet, or TV.

Front facing speaker is a nice feature to have, but to me, it's not a must have, just my opinion.

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

Size is a limiting factor for speaker performance.  Although the Axon 7 has arguably the best speakers for a phone, they still sound quite bad.  I wouldn't listen to music or movies on them.  For youtube videos and such, really just don't need any distortion.  The bigger the better to fit a proper driver, but then again its not really a battle worth fighting.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Axon 7 is the first phone that I have had with front facing speakers. The speakers seem like a perfect match to the screen size as the bezel doesn't take up much room. I love the sound quality of the speakers and do watch plenty of videos on it. My previous phone was an iPhone, and I would have never considered front facing speakers a necessity, but after using a phone with it, I think it is a big game changer on whether or not I will purchase a phone. When I got the A7, it was just an added bonus. When I flipped back to my iPhone the other day, I found myself saying "but where is the sound?" My only complaint about front facing speakers is if I forget to turn off my ringer while in class,  ​ has radar and calls and it gets pretty loud.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

that's what moms do... I agree I love the speakers, and they are a perfect match.

• techlifetvtechlifetv Canoga Park,CAPosts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Axon 7 is a wonderfully designed device tho I wish it was a 5'7 inch device but 5'5 feels tight in the hand and the front facing speakers match perfectly, ZTE and Designworks did an amazing job and I hope they work again together to design the Axon 8. 

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love zte to bump the screen size up to 5.7in  I think that's the sweet spot right there.

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure that I would buy a phone without front facers at this point.  Loved them on my Moto X and now on the Axon7. Its what was the deciding factor of buy it.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

5.5 to 5.7 leaving around 5.2 to 5.4 for actual screen view.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I would say that a 5.7" and larger screen is the sweet spot for front facing speakers.  The screen size offers enough space for a slightly larger speaker in general, which usually makes for louder and a higher quality audio experience.  As mentioned in the OP, it can make for a better multimedia experience.  Personally, I play videos and games without headphones so I want that premium audio experience to go along with the larger screen form-factor.  A good example of a phone I would buy in a heart-beat if it had dual front facing speakers is, the Xiaomi Mi MIX.  6.4" beautiful screen but front-facing speakers would have made that device almost perfect in my opinion. 

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am right there with you , only difference is I think 5.2-5.7 would be the sweet spots. It could go up to 5.9 depending on the bezel of the phone, as with a very minimal bezel I believe 5.9 could work. Like you, I have large hands so I'd be comfortable with phones that a lot of people say are too big.

• vrmcbeighvrmcbeigh Dallas, TXPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm quite happy with the 6" screen on my ZMAX Pro. The only downside is that it makes it very unwieldy with a decent case.

As far as acoustics go, all other things being equal, a bigger size of speaker is going to be able to have higher SPLs and re-create lower frequencies. I personally think that there's no upper or lower limit to the size that would make front-facing speakers impractical as long as the engineering was able to fit them with minimal loss of screen real estate.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

5.5 inches or higher. 5.7 starting point would be best.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the size of the Axon 7. I think the size is perfect for the front facing speakers

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If they took the axon 7 and made it 6 inch with no bezel and the Nexus 6 style front speakers it would be awesome.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@schwartzasher said:
    If they took the axon 7 and made it 6 inch with no bezel and the Nexus 6 style front speakers it would be awesome.

Very true!!! I think that they can actually make it a little taller.. It would be a awesome device