[Mobile Education] Utilizing Wifi-Calling on a Network

delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

swiif.PNGws.PNG

Everyone love the fact how we can make prioritized calls over a stronger WiFi signal. Some people get confused on how this feature works and how it benefits them. This allows you to make simple (normal) calls via a WiFi signal. So no need in allows using your cellular towers 24/7. So if you're around a WiFi connection all the time like work, home, and school or public place and you don't have the best signal this would benefit you.

Not all networks allow you to do this only AT&T and T-Mobile able phones that have the feature are able to benefit from this feature.

How much does this cost?

T-Mobile lets you make and receive Wi-Fi calls for free between 120 countries. Sprint customers won't be charged for calls made to, from, or between the US, the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, but they will be charged "international calling plan rates" for other countries. Republic Wireless only supports Wi-Fi calling for the US and Canada. Other than that, the carrier has no international support, which includes no support for Puerto Rico, Guam and the US Virgin Islands.

Traveling with this feature....

If you're going overseas and want to keep in touch, its best to stick with Skype and WhatsApp when you're connected to a building or hotel's Wi-Fi. You can use data, but remember that it will cost you a lot if you're roaming on cellular networks. If you don't have a roaming plan, make sure you only use Wi-Fi and turn off data roaming in your Settings before heading out.

Always remember when you retain a good signal in an area and you don't want to use the WiFi calling feature make sure it's turned off. If not you will drop calls due to the phone not allowing your phone to connect to normal cell towers due to the feature being on.

Instructions to enable wifi calling on various operating systems:

Android OS Step by StepiOS Step by Step
Capturewifi.PNGwifiapple.PNG

Don't forget the feature is ABSOLUTELY FREE! you can't beat that.

HAPPY DAILING EVERYONE!

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

Comments

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Hey , I always wondered how WiFi calling works can you elaborate on this? does the receiver also has to connect to WiFi or is he/she just called via the regular cell towers?

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

The receiver of the call can be on WiFi or on network.  The phone company will ring the phone where it is registered.  In the simplest terms, they expanded their network to include the internet as a big tower.  This allows you to jump on this giant tower wherever you have WiFi. This means that mixing WiFi and network is perfectly fine.  You can begin a call on the mobile network and then move indoors and join the WiFi.  At that time you will still be connected to the call using the network, but your data would route through the WiFi.  If you then go to a location in the building where there is strong wifi, but extremely low, or no network signal, you will be transferred to the WiFi calling as if it were passing you from tower to tower while driving along the highway.  The same happens if you go from that deep dark corner of the building to a stronger network signal.  You will be passed back to the tower.

This works fantastically in reality as my wife uses it all the time since we live in a area that we can get a good t-mobile signal outside, but crap inside.  With wifi calling turned on on her phone, she has no issues with taking to anyone.

I got frustrated dropping calls all the time and ordered up a cell spot from T-mobile, since my phone did not support WiFi calling.  This box is basically a cell tower that you put in your house.  It basically gives me internet calling at home even though my phone does not support it.  It is a thin vertical square panel that is 10 inches square wand about 2 inches thick.  it plugs into my router that is sitting on top of a china cabinet so no one can  see it or the cell spot.  It has a GPS receiver to let the mini tower know where it is in the world, so it can properly hand off to the big towers. I have full bars of LTE now in the house and good signal because my calls are routed out my internet connection.  It can handle up up to 8 devices connected at the same time.  I was worried about others jumping on, but the signal is just enough to cover the house, but not so much past past the walls of the house.  Even if someone did jump on my "tower" my ISP, WOW, doesn't have caps and I have 110mb, so I really don't care if they do in the end.  I have had guests on t-mobile that are surprised to see such great signal, even in the basement.  

I am hoping to eliminate this with the Axon 7 so I can just use WiFi calling inside.

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Sound great, do you need to perform a specific action to turn wifi calling on?

• jabird101jabird101 Cleveland, OH, USAPosts: 225 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a menu option on the Motorola phones to turn this on or off.  I would assume that ZTE left this in as it is a stock part of Android 6

• is the ZTE Axon 7 Getting this within the next 30 days. That  is a big determiner if I keep the phone or not. Any update would be good.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

Once they update that would allow WiFi calling to be pushed out to the Axon 7 we will be able to utilize this feature on T-Moblie network. Long as its T-Mobile compatible sims and not Family Mobile (Walmart Plan).

dtmdriven

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• I think that is a T-Mobile thing. I have AT&T sim and cannot find that option

AT&T has wifi calling on some of their phones as of this year. Just depends on what phone you're using and also if they pushed a update to your phone to enable this feature.

• Unlocked axon 7 on straight talk using AT&T towers

To take benefit from any carrier Value Added Features you must have a postpaid account to get the benefit of the Free Wifi Calling. Since you with Straight Talk you don't get the full benefits since Tracfone only lease AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile towers at a low rate. So to get the Wifi Calling feature you must obtain a postpaid account from the preferred wireless carrier to utilize this cool feature.