Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

[Research] What does your ideal phone's backside look & feel like?

2»

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know I will probably get roasted for this, but the best phone I've ever held in my hand was a Oneplus One with the sandstone finish.  It felt good to hold, solid, and non-slippery.  It was nice to hold.

Otherwise, Since I always use cases, I don't really care.  BUT what would prevent me from having to use a case is if a manufacturer could provide built in rubber corners.  So when your phone drops and hits the corner of the device on the ground chances are less that the screen would crack. I would really like that.  If not rubber some other pliable material like TPU or something.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I love the grip on my S&W bodyguard lol but some may feel it is a little bit of an overkill for a phone. I only bring this up, because it reminded me of a focus group I was in where we discussed this same topic, but for handguns. They are the same but different. You want a secure, comfy feeling in your hand or it isn't going to work, and both use some of the same textures and materials.I think  it is easier to pull off certain textures on a handgun, but it does baffle me as to why some have never been attempted on a cellphone/smartphone.. Some are very beautiful in appearance, and offer amazing grip and added durability....  lol yes I know I am in left field, but it really is something to consider

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Review is about half done...few more things I want to test yet It's only been a few days, and I was out of town for a bit!

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic ​. I find it interesting because while the aesthetic of a phone is one of the many reason we buy it, we also end up, for the most part, slapping a case on it.

That said, here's an opinion...

I really like the back of my OPO in sandstone black. It's a slightly textured, matte finish with a slightly rounded back that allows the phone to still sit flat on a table. The feel is somewhere between leather and a sueded fabric so it has a nice hand to it while not feeling cold or like plastic. This also prevents it from showing fingerprints and in my opinion looks very sophisticated instead of very ostentatious.

What I've also noticed in this little exercise however, is that the more critical area is not so much the back as it is the sides. When I take my case off and hold my phone, most of the area that needs to be slip resistant is along the side of the phone where my hand cradles it and contact is made. I do not hold my hand out flat with the phone sitting in my palm and i would think not many people do. 

So all of this leads me to the conclusion that my ideal construction would be one that offered me the ability to enjoy fully one of the reasons I purchased my phone, the design, without having to cover it with a case to better protect it, make it less slippery and easier to handle. I think this is even more critical in a phone of this size for users like my wife that have smaller hands.

I think many of us are fond of how ZTE put this phone together but have already heard it can be a little squirrely to hold onto. If you consider that any case adds to the bulk and can make it even harder to slide the phone into a pocket or get it out of a pocket then the AXON 7 with an anti slip side profile that perhaps added some drop protection and a hardened glass screen protector would be my ideal situation.

PS. up until the OPO's I put an Otterbox Defender case on everything I bought for my wife and I. even our Samsung Tab S's and while they work, they are certainly not pretty or enhance the device in it.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I actually agree.  The sandstone finish on the OPO was pretty spectacular.

• rednex269rednex269 Arlington TexasPosts: 2

I keep my phone in a case at all times..   Otterbox Defender to be exact... I like the roughness of the case, however, the sliding in and out of the pocket is kinda hard when you are wearing jeans...  I like the rounded corners, just because I feel it provides more protection.. 

• Nice topic. The back should be glossy/shiny. May be rounded edges will help here as having glossy finish ends up being more slippery. Looks premium. but might end up being a fingerprint magnet.

If people end up not liking the glossy finish, they will have the support of cases which will help.

• mttmksmttmks TexasPosts: 93

The back on the Axon 7 is pretty close to what I want. A little more texture on the back wouldn't be a bad thing.

• chui84chui84 Houston,TxPosts: 28

A metal finish is definitely a better choice

• I have a OnePlus 2 with the sandstone back and I really like it. But normally I like a matte, slightly grippy backside. Not cheap feeling either, but a solid flat matte finish with just a bit of grip. Glossy or something like it is just a fingerprint magnet - although my husbands S7 with its glass back holds up well against fingerprints.

• I am used to my iPhone so I like the square shape, but do like it to feel grippy and not shiny because it's too easy to drop. Although I think most people have some kind of cover on their phones these days. I know I do even though it is not a grippy one.

• I totally agree Mac. I have had most of the flagship phones as well and if they are smaller I am OK with a flat or smooth back. On the larger phones I prefer a textured or curved back. My LG G4 never falls out of my hands. I love the curve and texture. It is the 1st phone I have had where I don't worry about dropping it without a case. I love my ZTE Lever LTE, but it constantly slides out of my hands. I also have an iPhone 6 and I couldn't even imagine using it without a case. It is too smooth by itself.

• The Nexus 5 (what I use currently) has a matte finish with a decent grip on the back. I like it quite a bit and believe it's the one best type of back finishes from the many different phones I have had. I have also tried some different experimental backs, like the sandpaper-like back on the oneplus one. It seemed quite odd at first, but it was extremely grippy and gave a very very nice feel, so something rough might be worth experimenting with.

• I prefer a shiny finish and slightly contoured shape. I like a slippery back because it feels better to hold and it makes it easier to use when you got a somewhat big display. To add some grip I would like rubbery grip on the sides. I saw this concept before with a flat shaped back, only don't remember where. I currently got a plastic contoured back it's not even close to what I want but, I didn't want to spend to much on decent specs. This kind of back feels cheap and looks terrible. That's is why I keep buying cases that fit my needs.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rounded, matte finish, with just a little grip.

• mb2xmb2x Greenville, SCPosts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ideal back on a phone for me would be matte, medium grippy, and flat. I really like the Kevlar on the original Droid RAZR/ RAZR Maxx. I really liked that material. It was durable and looked kind of cool as well!

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot how much I liked those kevlar backs.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Let me know if it's something you would use 

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I am not sure if what I would ultimately prefer actually exists.  I like the look and feel of metal-backed phones.  I prefer a contoured back to make the phone easier to grip.  What I would ultimately like to see is something like the back of the Axon 7 but the color of emerald or jade green.  Samsung has a limited market release of the S6 that was green and it sure did look nice.  Here is an image of the green next to the blue. 

B_S6S6_edge_BlueGreen_V_Inside_Image.jpg

This discussion has been closed.