Grand X 4 - odd overheating issue

Got this phone on Black Friday.  While I am working during the day, I keep the phone in my front pocket.  The first 3 Fridays that I had it, it heated up pretty bad and the symbols on top of phone kept going on and off.  The first time that happened, I found out an app was using a ton of the battery, and the battery life went from about 75% to 40% in a very short amount of time, so I deleted that app completely and it seemed to straighten out.  The next two Fridays, it did something similar, so I shut it down for a period time, and it was ok afterwards.  Then it skipped a couple weeks and worked fine.  This past week, it did it again on Friday morning.  Shut it down, then fine rest of day.  Yesterday was Monday,1/16/17 and it did it again.  First time on a day other than a Friday.

Any ideas?  Like the phone a lot and don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back to ZTE.  Thanks.

Answers

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

​ It definitely sounds to me that a third party app was/is the culprit. You can always try factory resetting you device and see if you still have the same issues however that may be something to try as a last resort so that you don't have to setup your device again. Please provide me with the software version you are currently running and I'll forward this to the ModSquad to discuss.

• Marshmallow 6.0.1.

I'll try to keep an eye on what the apps are doing if/when this happens again.

Thanks for your help.