Axon 7 sound & voice quality

sirrussirrus CaliforniaPosts: 155

I'm new and would like to know a bit of features it supports the sound. Mostly about music listening and talking on the phone, voice codecs supported, VoLTE support, so on.

Answers

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

Hello and welcome!

The ZTE Axon 7 from what I've read online is going to use HiFi audio chips from AKM, which appears to be a hq audio company based in Japan. Also, I'm assuming that it will operate using VoLTE. However, I believe that might be carrier specific, the same as voice codecs used by different carriers. I'm unsure though of certain codec supported on this device. I'm assuming you mean to get this unlocked, correct?

• sirrussirrus CaliforniaPosts: 155

Yes thank you. I want unlocked only, not dealing with carrier and contracts. I want something that sounds good, not bad voice quality.

I'm glad to be of help.

I think you really ought to talk with the different wireless carriers about their voice codecs, as they differ by the carrier in what is used. Actually, I had a discussion about this issue recently on one of the online wireless forums I frequent often, as the perceived sound quality differs, as do the codecs. Personally, I prefer Sprint for voice quality. I tried Sprint in the past and found it to be the best. I had some data issues with Sprint, though I've heard it has improved in some areas. However, it is something you really ought to try out.

Besides discussing your needs with carriers, perhaps they might share with you some information about what hey use, which if you are interested in the ZTE Axon 7, you could contact ZTE for information regarding if the device would work for your needs with whatever carrier you find would be best for you. Also be sure the spectrum is supported along with the basic calling system, which here in the U.S. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA, though personally I've found Sprint's voice quality to sound much better than Verizon, though that is just my opinion of it. Then AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM, which while often are great choices for data, I'm not fond of either for voice quality. Until VoLTE gets more optimized and starts using wideband codecs, I really wouldn't depend on getting excellent voice quality that you would get over landline or VOIP.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

Seems like you have to wait until some reviews drop.

While you can assume that the sound quality etc. will be good, you can't ​know it by now. So, let's wait and see

Very true!

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Yes vollte needs to be implemented by the provider both the calling and receiver phone carrier as well as the phone itself should support it,

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to the audio quality of music through headphones, a lot of people are going to be quite happy with how the audio quality will be on the Axon 7 that is using the secondary AKM chip for audio playback.
    I haven't personally tried it yet, but I am looking forward to at some point in the near future.

Personally I don't know why people get so excited about voice quality just for conversations on their phone though.
    As long as the audio isn't poor, I'm satisfied. I care 99% more about the quality of audio when listening to music
    or music/video streaming.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how the Axon 7 can't sound awesome w/ the chipset it has.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

It looks promising, we'll wait for the reviews and see

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

The audio quality will be great. Want to compare it now? search reviews on the axon pro. It has the exact same DAC for playback (AKM 4490). The other chip is used as an analog to digital converter which some may use. I'm all about the dac. Cant wait to hear how spotify and poweramp sound on this!

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

So i did some research and found that the specs on the axon pro were great but androidauthority said this:

"Sadly, the Axon phone’s disappointing dynamic range and speaker results hurt what was otherwise a lovely sounding phone, proving that spec sheet point scoring doesn’t always translate in the real world."

Hopefully with the dual speakers on the axon 7 fixes part of the problem and the chip-set can at least hit the full 96dB dynamic range without added noise

Sorry forgot to add the link

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-10-have-to-concede-694748/

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I find the sound in the Axon Pro to be pretty awesome. But, I'm certainly no expert.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

Is that the right link?

It was a very realistic and informative read though! I think, for the great balance of product, price, and services, ZTE could do some amazing marketing to make the Axon 7 a grand hit. Much like OnePlus, they could do lots of social media marketing, which can be completely free! It's very easy to spotlight specific standout features on this phone, and also very easy to tie those features to tangible benefits.

Front facing speakers and dedicated headphone amp -> great sound to a fill a room and your ears

20 MP Samsung camera -> Zoom in all you want, Fast autofocus, great lowlight (ooh I can imagine an ad for this right now!)

Included Screen Protector and 2 year warranty with damage protection -> NO ONE ELSE OFFERS THIS (I can imagine a couple of good ads for this too!)

​ Is there any way I can help ZTE with their marketing campaign for this phone? I am a Marketing student and an award-winning Short Film Maker!

Thank you to everyone here for the questions and answers, along with the helpful information regarding the audio in the Axon 7. This is a very important feature for me regarding playback of lossless audio files, which are the only audio files I listen to nowadays, no more listening to mp3!

I am in the same boat!

I hope no one else, especially ZTE, uses social media marketing like OnePlus. That's how I lost any respect for them that I MIGHT have had.

• tietjetietje Telluride, coPosts: 84

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-of-android-2015-audio-660588/

You are correct. Added the proper link above

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the sound and voice quality on phone calls is good. Most of the new phones I've lately have not had the best phone call sound. Either they are not loud enough or sound tinny. It would be nice if the eq would control phone call quality along with music quality.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

The speakers are great, and I hope  voice call quality will be on par with it.

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,191 mod

I agree, it has cutting edge audio specs, I don't thing anyone will be disappointed!

See OnePlus does a lot of things right with social media but also a few things wrong which have given it a bad rap for a lot of people. In some ways, the strategy is similar to Trump's: constantly controversial and constantly grabbing screen time and mind share.

You're probably right. Maybe I'll get over it sometime. Meanwhile, I'm very grateful for companies like ZTE, Nuu Mobile & Alcatel, who produce devices that I can afford with a certain amount of class.

Just my opinion. I have many You Tube friends that like OnePlus.