54 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 11:24 AM by mskita

ZTE zmax pro restarting

mskita

I have a zmax pro and it randomly restarts on its own. It typically does it at least 3 times a week. What can cause this? What can fix this? Please help!!

• Re: ZTE zmax pro restarting
          ironbaybeedoll

mskita Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community. I would like to see if one of our CPAs coldheat06 is able to assist you in troubleshooting this further. Should you need anything else please let us know.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              leatherface614

I am having the exact same problem with my zmax pro. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                r0bbieism3

Is their any way you can contact the developer team to tell them that a few consumers have reported to have some build problems with their phone. That would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't know how to contact them about this problem. They just keep telling me to send the phone back when it cannot be a hardware possibility. I have sent this phone back to metro to get a replacement with the same build, and problems are still persistent after a few days of playing around with the replacement.

ironbaybeedoll

mskita and leatherface614 Can you both reply with what build/update you are currently on, and I will try to get some information to further assist you.

ironbaybeedoll

mskita leatherface614 Good Evening. With this kind of issues it can many times help closing out running apps on daily basis. If it is due to high ram consumption this should resolve it. Please keep me posted over the nest few days. Please always feel free to use the mention/tag feature to get my attention by typing the @ symbol directly followed by username

While that may help their problem in the short term, they shouldn't have to do that on a daily basis. Android manages ram usage and apps on it's own. Keeping your commonly used apps in cache allows them to load up much quicker when you use them. Android is designed to automatically release low priority apps from memory if ram is low. Other than a weekly reboot, this seems to be the results of one of the software "issues" that ZTE hasn't addressed or fixed. It is one of the widely reported known bugs. Firmware has gone from 08 to 12 to 14 in 5-6 months. Every time they try to fix something, they break something else. That's not how this is supposed to work, haha.

mskita

ironbaybeedoll closing out the apps hasnt helped. I do this/have done it daily and its still doing the same thing. If it doesnt just randomly reststart it will completely shut down and not come on. This is a very pressing issue especally when it does it overnight and I use my phone as my alarm clock. I have tried clearing the cache and it seems to not do it as often. The only other alternative i've found is to do a factor reset, however I would like to use that as a last resort!!

mskita

ironbaybeedoll also here is the latest issue, along with the random restart, now when i send out a message to someone, sometimes they will get that message over and over. One person got the same message about 30 times. So now my question is, is there another update coming soon or will this continue to be an issue until someone can come up with another build?

coldheat06

Hi mskita  When you send out a message and the receiver.....receives it multiple times that is a carrier issue.    I have had the same issue with my ZMax Pro on ATT.

To resolve this issue I had to call AT&T and

1.) Ensure that they had the correct EMEI

2.) Have them re-provision your device

This seemed to resolve my issue..... but it may take 24 hours from when they do it to take affect.

hope this helps!!

r0bbieism3

My ram has not gone over 80% so that couldn't be the problem I check this every so often on a daily basis.

jiveturkee

Closing out apps is not necessary. 

For random reboots, try clearing cache partition in recovery.  It might not solve the issue but it helps to start with that.

r0bbieism3

I am experiencing alot of problems also but not on B12 just on b14 it has to be this crappy  build. Whenever I browse web pages the phone freezes up. This software build needs to be fixed its like there is a memory leak or the phone just really doesn't want to respond. I have been looking at reviews online and I'm not the only one who is experiencing problems with this phone.

ponygirl

I am also having the same problem with my ZTE Zmax Pro, which I bought in February 2017.  It turns off by itself about 3 or 4 times a day.  I called T-Mobile and they only suggest a factory reboot, which is a royal pain in the backside.  I heard it was the SD card, but when I removed my SD card, the problem continued.  I cleaned the cache, removed TASK KILLER, deleted texts... nothing helped.  I hear people get new phones and the problem continues.  I think the ZTE doesn't "jive" with certain apps.  Why won't ZTE or T-Mobile take responsibility of this problem?

alanhouston

A factory reset DOES work.  Everytime an app is updated there is an opportunity for fragments of an older version to conflict with a newer version.  Month by month, the phone's software gets a greater accumulation of trash and in six months your phone has the flu.

Remove your memory card.  Do a factory reset and chose the option for a fresh setup, NOT a setup from a prior date.  Install zero apps and games.  Go to setup, then updates, and install any pending updates for your phone.

At this point, your phone should be fast and smooth.  Test it for a day.  Then install ONE app and retest your phone.  Then install a second app and retest.  At some point, you will install an app and your phone will start a riot.  Remove the guilty app.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                                          deadliner

Nope. Factory reset does not work for me. Same crap everyone else is experiencing, random reboots. Even with no other apps installed. I have never used an SD card in mine so that can't be an issue either. Face it, this phone is a piece of crap and they have little to absolutely zero intent to fix this issue. How about a class action lawsuit for this garbage? Would be nice for them to cover my lost hours when I'm late or get fired because it decided to shut itself off during the night. Or miss that call one of my parents or loved one is in the hospital. I mean c'mon. Smart phones are peoples main method of communication and people rely on it to work correctly for some pretty important reasons. This is some ridiculous bull*%&#.

asianrocker

I think it's unfair that you have to do ALL that in regular basis just so this phone can work. Don't you think?

ponygirl

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.  I love this phone, but when it shuts off in the middle of a phone call or a long text, you don't know what it feels like unless it continually happens to you.  A factory reboot takes more than 10 minutes to reload all my photos and information on some of my apps, and I have to hire someone to help me do that.  Now, the phone doesn't even allow me to clean my cache or reboot, because when I press POWER and the VOLUME button together, it doesn't stay on the black reboot screen.  It just powers down.  I think a lot of people don't have this problem with their ZTE phones, but from what I've read, a lot of people do.  What I would like to see on this forum is problem solving and people supporting each other, not being nasty.  I just want to figure out what the problem is.  I am stumped.  I'll let you all know if a reboot works, once I figure out a way not to lose all my texts and loaded information on my checklist (and other) apps.  Thank you for your help.  Someone suggested helium, but I don't know how to use helium.

mskita

ponygirl I did a factory reset last night and so far I haven't had any issues. I have even seen an improvement in my battery life which is something else I was having an issue with. I was able to backup all of my pics to my memory card. Unfortunately the text are gone but I made sure there was nothing important in there. As far as the apps you can just go back into the play store and it will have all of the apps you have downloaded in the "my apps" section. To clear your cache you have to completely power down. Once it's off hold the power and volume up button at the same time, once you see the ZTE screen come up you can let them go. Then you will use the volume up and down buttons to get to what you need, then use the power button to select. I ten to do this every other day and it works. You shouldn't have to hire someone to help back the phone up. If you cant get it by yourself, go by the store and see if they can help you. Give that a try and see if it helps. 

ponygirl

@mskita – Thanks Mskita.  Funny, I just learned that last night.  I was holding the POWER and VOLUME UP button at the same time before fully powering down.  Also, about apps... I can re-load the apps just fine.  My problem is all the data I personally put ON the apps will be lost.  For example, I have a CHECKLIST app, and I have 14 checklists (groceries, TO-DO, movies to watch, items to bring on a camping trip, etc.), and each checklist lists many items.  That will be painful to manually re-do, but I think Helium can help.  And I hate losing my texts (which are kind of like a scrapbook or photo album of verbal memories, ha).  However, my battery has never been a problem with this phone.  Even tho it's not a turbo-charger, it charges just as fast as my Moto X turbo charger did, and my battery life is pretty good (I keep GPS location turned off).  I sooooooooo much hope this fixes the problem, but I really don't think I should have to do this with a new phone.  I do think it's a fault of the phone.

freddiez

If it's not too late, there are apps to back up/restore text messages. I use "SMS Backup+" from the play store. It uses your Gmail account and is pretty simple to set up.

It's definitely not perfect. For example, its supposed to backup phone log but that's somewhat hit or miss.

Most of my other apps re-install easily.

I agree that the basics must work or a smartphone becomes a liability rather than a help.

Good luck

ponygirl

I finally did a factory reboot in hopes of fixing my ZTE Z-Max Pro from automatically restarting 4 or 5 times a day.  I had put this off for weeks due to the huge hassles of a factory reset.  It took me hours to get my phone customized to the way I want it – custom keypad, reloading all my bookmarks and entering passwords in Facebook, Dropbox, Uber, Lyft, BlueMail, Meetup, and more.  I lost all my texts, which I hated.  AND... it did not fix the problem.

I used to love this phone.  Now I hate this phone.  What I hate worse is that ZTE does not take responsibility for their defect.  A cell phone should be able to take apps.

coldheat06

Hi ponygirl Are you on MetroPCS or TMobile?

It looks like people are getting a new release for MetroPCS....this may resolve your issues.

ponygirl

Thanks coldheat06.  I'm on T-Mobile.

I called T-Mobile, and they only suggested a factory re-boot.  No skin off their nose, and a major hassle for the consumer.  They don't apologize for selling a defective product.  I've researched this, and countless people have this problem with this phone.  T-Mobile and ZTE make it very difficult for their customers to correct this problem.

neoziggy

How many apps and games do you have installed? There's probably things running in the background that's consuming all of the RAM and causing the phone to reset.

Have you gone into Settings > About Phone > System Updates and checked for updates?

I've had this device nearly six months and I think it only Force Reset on me once. It's never been factory reset either.

coldheat06

Lets try to get you up and running..... I have about 127 apps on my device so I know that I can handle a lot...... but you may have an "rogue app" that is taking up all your RAM.  

when you do  a factory reset try your phone w/out any apps...then load them one at a time so that we can find the issue.

deadliner

Stop playing this "factory reset" thing as a solution. Did people not read my post, or ponygirls? We both have factory reset and the piece of garbage phone still randomly reboots. I installed NOTHING on my phone for a week after trying this suggestion and it still happened. It is NOT a solution, rather a very ugly temporary workaround that simply may or may not work. People need to stop acting like it's a factual working solution when it's nothing even close to it. This is the ONLY phone I have ever owned that has displayed the issues I have had with it, which are not limited to the random rebooting by any means.

ponygirl

Deadliner, I don't think people realize what a major headache a factory reset is.  I did this over a week ago, and I'm still running into snags because of it.  For example, I went to get my shopping list from my Alexa app, and it asked for the password, which I didn't have with me.  I went to check what time I was supposed to meet someone, but that time was written in a text, which was now erased.  A hundred things like that.

T-Mobile did finally agree to give me a new phone.  I have to go thru the terrible headaches of a factory reset again.  I'm praying this fixes the problem.

What I don't understand is how Metric fixed the problem.  What exactly does it mean if your phone is recalled?  Why doesn't T-Mobile do this?

I bought this phone because it had a lot of great reviews.  I wonder if the people writing the reviews are paid by ZTE.  However, the only problem I'm experiencing is the auto-reboot.  The phone doesn't overheat.  It charges quickly.  I like its price and its configuration.  I j ust wish they took responsibility for their flaw.

mskita

so you guys here is the latest..i finally contacted ZTE themselves and this is what they told me. I can send in the phone to be repaired but the turn around time is 10 days, during which time I would not have a phone. Or, i could do the advanced exchange programs: i would have to pay a handling fee of 34.98 to have a replacement sent to me, then they will do an authorization of 79 + tax until they receive my device, then do another authorization of 149.98 which is the full price of the phone. This amount is just in case there is physical or water damage to the phone...so by my calculations thats a total of 263.96+tax...SMH..THIS IS ALL A MESS!!!

ponygirl

Thanks Mskita.

On May 1 2017, you wrote "I did a factory reset last night and so far I haven't had any issues."
                                                                    So have your issues come back?  Did your phone start auto-restarting again?
                                                                    My factory reset didn't work, and I lost all my texts and spent a lot of time reloading all my apps and entering passwords and getting my settings back.

Are you saying it would cost you about $264 (plus tax) to have your phone fixed???!?
                                                                    That's crazy.

They sent me a new phone.  I pick it up at a local T-Mobile shop next week.
                                                                    I'm terrified I'll get a refurbished phone that has even worse issues.
                                                                    My phone auto-restarts about 4 or 5 times a day.
                                                                    I just live with it and wait.
                                                                    I don't want to get another phone that auto-shuts down every hour, and then it's hard to re-start it.  I have read some ZTE phones do that.  Or get one that overheats.  Or doesn't charge quickly.  My phone charges quickly and does not over-heat.  I miss texts sometimes, or get dupes.  I just live with it.  If I get a new phone, it might even be worse because ZTE phones are a gamble.

mskita

yea so after I did the reset that the store claimed would fix it, lost all my txt, etc. even lost some contacts...about 2 days later it started again. From what the lady was telling me i could either send my phone in and wait the 10 days for them to fix it and be without a phone or I could pay the 34.98 and have one sent to me, send them mine but while my original is being inspected they would place a hold for 79 and 149.98 until they are done inspecting it...Once they are done and its found to be a manufactures issue then they would release the holds but it would be 30 days before i could get my money back. This is all crazy to me and I definitely will not be purchasing ZTE again. I wanted this phone because of the great reviews and the screen size but NEVER again!!

ponygirl

I think what we should do is google "ZTE Zmax Pro" and write about this phone's issues in as many links as we can.  This is what I'm going to do.  Every day, I experience a little bit of pain because of ZTE.
                                                                      1. This would save a potential consumer from dealing with this pain
                                                                      2. It would alert ZTE and T-Mobile that there's a problem (T-Mobile acts like they don't know)

ponygirl

I got a replacement phone from T-Mobile today.  I am hopeful this will fix the problem.  I talked with several tech people, and they said if you google "Samsung phones automatically shutting off" or "iPhones automatically shutting off", you'll see tons of people who have this problem.  I googled, and they're right.  They sincerely said that they haven't experienced an unusual amount of customers complaining about their ZTE phones.  They suspect there was a batch of bad phones, and some of us were unlucky.  They said rarely do they see people returning their replacement phones, so I am hopeful.  So far, it's been working fine.  We shall see.  I will let you know.

They suspect it wasn't a problem with any apps, but a defect with the phone's hardware or software (I forget what they said), especially since a FACTORY RESET didn't work.

Yay!  A working phone! (so far)  I forgot what that felt like.

mskita

So last night my phone did a software update..my husband's phone did it too. We are now on build V1.0.0B20....lets see what will happen now!

deadliner

T-mobile had an update a few days back to V1. 0.0B13 but have been so busy since then I've barely used my phone to tell if it helped anything. Why don't they release changelogs for updates? Also, why is T-Mobile seemingly 7 versions behind?

ponygirl

Three days ago, T-Mobile issued me a refurbished phone due to my ZTE Zmax Pro automatically restarting about 3 or 4 times a day.  I spent hours loading back my apps, my bookmarks, my passwords, and re-configurating my phone settings.  My phone worked great!  I was so happy.

Saturday morning, my phone automatically restarted.
                                                                              This put me in a depression.
                                                                              Seems like T-Mobile or ZTE is simply recycling their broken phones.

T-Mobile and ZTE will try to blame it on your apps.
                                                                              A cell phone should be able to take apps.
                                                                              I should add that on Sunday morning, I deleted a WEATHER WIDGET that I had running along with its default ACCU-WEATHER WIDGET, and I haven't had an auto-reboot all day yesterday, and so far today.  I don't want to be hopeful because ZTE always lets me down.

Mskita and Deadliner – T-Mobile had an update on Wednesday night May 17, 2017.  I woke up Thursday morning and my HOME button no longer worked on my prior phone, as a result of their update.  Now I have this new refurbished phone (which I got last Friday) (today is Monday) and it's asking for an update, which I'm terrified to do.  I don't want to lose my HOME button.

mskita

ponygirl i truly understand not wanting to do the update. I didnt want to either but when i put my phone on charge it automatically did it. It had already done the update, it just needed to be installed. This was on Saturday night. On yesterday I noticed that when i get a text it doenst show the notification on the app icon, only in the notification bar at the top. This is an issue for me because i always look at the icon to see if i have a message, not the notification bar at the top. Today ive noticed that when on a call the home button with flash...this is annoying when you are in a dark room. Ive also noticed that it will not connect to my WIFI. I have never had this issue until now...if it does continue to be an issue I dont know what to do. It seems like i am better off without a phone!!